For lawyers in the United States, attending Continuing Legal Education (CLE) events is a necessary part of the job. But what happens when you want to attend a CLE event that’s located far from your home base? How do you justify a Destination CLE to your boss?
In this blog post, we’ll provide tips on how to make your case and highlight the benefits of Destination CLEs. Keep reading for more information!
CLEs and Why They Matter
Attorneys in some states are required to complete CLE courses to be consistently updated with the latest legal trends. In fact, most U.S. states require their lawyers to complete their CLEs annually or every two years.
In this way, legal professionals can keep on practicing law and improve their services. CLEs are also a great way to learn more about different topics that lawyers may find useful in their legal practice as well as for personal growth.
Different states have their own recommended topics and guidelines for how to complete CLEs. However, most states require ethics and basic legal practice guidelines. These states also offer courses within the state so attorneys can have easier access to the locations.
During the pandemic many states allowed for online conferences to complete their CLEs, but with travel restrictions being removed across the world, lawyers no longer must watch presentations on their computer while they’re working. LIVE EVENTS ARE OPEN!
Thankfully, with Destination CLEs, lawyers can complete their CLE requirements with this Eduvacation℠ and may not even have to use their personal vacation time. Talk about a win-win!
How to Justify a Destination CLE?
Whether a lawyer has his or her own practice or is an associate or partner in a law firm, CLEs can provide the best way for attorneys to thrive professionally and legally. Now, the best way to complete CLEs is through a Destination CLE!
A Destination CLE links vacation time with learning. Wouldn’t it be a breeze to earn CLE credits while on a scenic vacation?
But you might be wondering, will the boss or the board members approve of this? To help you out, we’ve rounded up the benefits of Destination CLEs to help you justify why going to a destination CLE will be beneficial for not just you, but also for your clients and your firm, too.
The Benefits of Destination CLEs
1. Destination CLEs can help lawyers earn CLE credits while on vacation. For example, a cruise in the Mediterranean Sea can earn you 12 CLE credits over your eight day vacation! With this destination, you get to enjoy the scenic views of Athens, Italy, and Spain while also learning from at least seven incredible speakers. The topics tackle subjects such as ethics, management of high-profile cases, personal development, mental health care, support services, and social media.
2. We all know that a change of scenery is healthy for both the mind and body. Destination CLEs can help with this because of the different locations that you can go to without worrying about work. Essentially, law firms give their lawyers time to complete their CLEs, and a destination CLE is just the thing any hard-working lawyer needs! Get away from the office or your workspace and enjoy some of the most lovely places in the world, such as Puerto Rico’s Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort.
3. Additionally, studies show that vacations can lead to improved productivity and reduced stress. Since lawyers’ performance is reduced due to long hours of work, Destination CLEs can significantly improve their mental health. As an example, since almost everyone enjoys the beach, you can even have your family join you for a vacation at the Westin Beach Resort in the Virgin Islands. The azure waters will surely calm your nerves and maybe even give you a fresh look into your profession. Don’t let the problems of last year continue this year—give yourself that needed break!
4. Completing CLEs is the most practical way to improve your craft while also getting to network and meet new friends in the industry. Even while traveling to a beautiful tourist destination, you can still get work done, sightsee, meet potential clients and other lawyers, and, most importantly, complete your CLEs. Multitasking has never been as stress-free as when you’re in a picturesque location!
5. As you spend long hours at work to reach deadlines, fulfill billable hours, go to client meetings, and research, you might not have enough time for the people most important to you. Going on vacation with Destination CLEs with your family, kids, or partner can strengthen your bond further. Plus, sharing memories with them can help you connect better and have stronger dynamics.
6. Unfortunately, a study done by the National Health Survey shows that lawyers are among the most sleep-deprived professionals in the U.S. Aside from the long hours at work, they also try to make time for family. And even when they are already home, they often still have to spend hours in front of a computer screen to finish some research or pending work. Sleep deprivation can often lead to issues such as diabetes, memory loss, and stroke, so it’s not something to take lightly. Thankfully, a relaxing vacation can help with getting your sleeping pattern in sync again.
In short, a fulfilling vacation is the answer to work-related stress in lawyers. Lawyer burnout is a major cause of concern and studies show that burnout lessens productivity and may even lead to declined health. Too much work may advance you in your field, but it can also be detrimental, especially if you have no more time to pursue what you enjoy.
Destination CLEs offers the perfect way to travel and learn new things at the same time. Plus, it allows you to take that well-earned vacation with your family while gaining much-needed CLE credits.
With so many amazing destinations to choose from at your most available time, there’s something for every lawyer.
Also, check out our testimonials to see how other attendees have loved our Eduvacations℠ of Destination CLEs!
So, what are you waiting for? Click here to start planning your next learning adventure today!